Thursday, October 13, 2011

Routes


Perched in the rear with tunes flowing into my ears
my head leans against the brisk pane,
Peeking over lake shore light settles on Michigan just awakening,
Heads yawning as they step aboard falling towards the floor,
Broad stone buildings roar by as crowds litter the blocks,
My eyes dip into my mind.

***

Zooming towards the city I lingering in the shadows trying to rest,
Locals stumble, rocking to and fro, feet sliding with the motion,
Fields of wheat wave goodbye,
Rubbing the warm window with my finger,
Bouncing heart already speeding to the end.

***

Still I claim the rear lunging into a familiar lump,
Daunting homes strut by while the bus hums towards school,
Students cackle to their friends waiting to go,
Cars honk and rev with anger trying to get by,
I'm startled by the gloom weighing my head,
Each sweeping image hooks me to the past,
I rub and try to wipe away mounting drops,
I re-write a name on the misty window.

***

Filled to the brim my feet shuffle with their motion,
My hand aches as the night washes over Xi’an,
My heart dodders with the bumps in the road,
Each turn I misstep and almost fall,
I keep focusing on the next stop so I won’t forget,
I’m not letting the past gnaw at this moment,
Then a warm grip pierces my pensiveness,
The darkness and dense elbows can’t deny her,
A sunrise smile blares up at me like a lighthouse,
I'm in a stasis being filled with awe,
leaning in for a kiss,
finally reaching my stop.