Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Judge and Execution

The murky and damp courtroom is big enough to seat four, the judge rustles his gown awaiting for the plaintive to began, her lawyer is a polished rationalist in a suit and tie, slick back hair, and pacing confidently in front of the podium. She is teary-eyed, doubt rings on her primrose cheeks, as her brown eyes scan the nothingness in the air. "She was left alone your honor," the lawyer begins, manically raising his hand at the empty seat where the guilty party is suppose to reside, "She wept and lamented in his arms on their final day and was heart broken to the brink of insanity, and he did nothing to help her," she starts to cry as the memory attacks her, forcing her to cringe, "And then, after a month of being separated, he has the gall to attempt to get back with her," the lawyers voice rings through the barren courtroom stirring the judge, "Why, all of a sudden does he state he loves her, I will tell you why, it's because he is alone, afraid, and affected by the sudden change in his life, not really caring for my clients sympathies," the judge nods his head as the lawyer offers him documents, "If you would kindly read these notes, here it clearly states my clients constant attempts at yielding a response from him telling him she loved him, which he neglected to respond to till they parted ways," she wipes away the tears as the heat from the room builds like a bonfire, her skin starts to harden, "If you look at the next page you can see that he wasn't the best boyfriend, when they were together, constantly making her do things, arguing with her, putting her down, poking fun at the things she did, he has nothing to say to himself, obviously, since he is not present," she shakes her head at the thoughts, they must be true she says, they must be, if he loved me, he would have been there, suddenly a loud banging from the wooden doors in the back, he busts through as the judge brings down his gavel like a snare, he is out of breath and crying, "What is going on!?" he shouts, spotting his love who stunned but not flinching, "Your honor I would like to strike anything he says from the record," the lawyer quickly fumbles, "Bullshit! How can you talk about us without me here? Shouldn't I get a say? Shouldn't you hear my side?" he states in a gasp, "Your side is meaningless, the only important matter at hand is to relieve my client of the pain you caused her," the judge again nods absently, she is fiddling with her finger, glancing down, not able to look at him, "I didn't mean to do that, it...it was just what happened, I needed time to know, to really know how I felt, is that wrong, is that wrong!?" he attempts to speak to her directly but the lawyer shrouds him, guards him from her, "Not knowing makes us question whether what you say is true or not, since if you did love her you would have stood with her, been with her, done all you can to not let her go, but you left her alone, in pain, dwelling by herself thinking about you everyday," he staggers, but gets his footing once again, "What do you think I have been going through, it isn't as though this has been easy for me, I'm in a new world, new place, with new people, I didn't know if I would be able to commit to her, to you, I had to be sure, I had to stop thinking with my mind and listen to my heart, you have to believe me," he keeps trying to speak around the lawyer, but the lawyer is to encompassing, he can't speak to her directly, "With your heart! My client has been speaking with only that for so long, she is now fed up, she is done, she doesn't believe a word of this dribble, it's all over, you have to move on," he falls again to his knees, weakly, his stomach churns and aches, a deep pang is felt, he is exhausted, he grabs on to a nearby table for support, "See your honor, he isn't able to stand the truth, my client is through, she has tried and tried to be with him, love him, cherish him, and all he has done is spit in her face, she deserves--" he punches the lawyer, knocking him out of the way, running to her, holding her hand, her eyes are sharp but staring away from him, "I love you, I do, and I want to be with you, that is the honest truth, all the things that have happened to us will only make us stronger, yeah we had our troubles, but so does everyone, can't you look passed that? I remember the last time we spoke you said you loved me, we listened to each other breathe, wasn't that real? I know you still love me, but were hurt by what I did, more than I can imagine, and I'm sorry, that is all I can say, I'm sorry, you wanted to be with me before, so I don't know what changed, please, tell me, what changed, what has happened, I will do everything, anything to be with you, just let me in," he ululates but his words have met a brick wall, not chipping it, she is stone-faced, nothing but hate is seen in her reflection, "You are only looking at the good things, you are living in the past, you are alone and scared, you don't really love me, you love the idea of me," she spouts still not giving him her eyes, her words cut him, "What were the bad? Where you not happy!?Tell me, so I know. I'm not in love with an idea, I'm in love with you and only you, you for who you are, not who you were, what can I say to prove that to you? Look at me" she keeps her eyes on the lawyer as if speaking with his mouth, "All this is just fantasy, you didn't treat me right, we had so many deeper issues that grew and grew, nothing but resentment," "I don't resent you and never have, and all these issues are unknown to me, what are they, what?" he keeps trying to glance into her eyes, but they are not hers anymore, she has been beguiled, too many jackals whispering in her ears, he sees that she has morphed into them, into those cold emotionless beings that soothe the pain, "You creep me out, you have to move on," she burns, still not peering at him, he is stunted, taken-back, halted in his tracks, his mouth gaped like a bass, two officers grab him by the arms and carry him away forcefully, the lawyer smiles cynically, brushing his hair back, she doesn't offer him one last look, shuttering, gazing down at the immense nothingness at her feet.